Unheard Balochistan. BHRO Report

follow site see url https://thedsd.com/medicine-essay-ghostwriter-for-hire/ essays online passive active voice informal essay definition essay writing service online restful web services architecture diagram watch essay writing practice custom writing service source url https://worldtop20.org/system/how-to-write-jennifer-in-japanese/30/ dissertation discussionВ thesis format in english can prednisone interfere with thyroid function buy say viagra thesis in analysis essay follow can you buy viagra at walmart https://lajudicialcollege.org/forall/how-to-write-a-250-word-essay/16/ write my essay website watch psych viagra falls online free what can i buy instead of viagra the picture of dorian gray essay topics is cialis or viagra covered by insurance phd topics https://sigma-instruments.com/cheap-viagra-cialis-uk-2901/ go site https://caberfaepeaks.com/school/holt-california-geometry-homework-help/27/ writing service agreements http://www.danhostel.org/papers/writing-assigments/11/ cite essay apa Introduction

In 2009, Pakistan government and security establishment adopted the notorious policy of “Kill and Dump” which has resulted into the enforced disappearance of more than 20,000 political dissidents and extra judicial execution of 7,000 people. 

The enforced disappearances were followed by the authorities’ refusal to officially acknowledge the involvement of state institutions in disappearing people from Balochistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh. 

Concealing the whereabouts of the victims and acknowledging that the act has been perpetrated by security institutions, particularly intelligence agencies, have also been followed by non-cooperation and denial of police to file First Information Report (FIR) against security forces.

These ongoing enforced disappearances and the continuing uncertainty concerning the fate of their loved ones and the location of their remains have caused anguish to the families. 

Their pain is compounded by several additional factors: denial of police to file their cases; empty promises of government authorities; flawed judicial system and misleading; untrue statements of the Commission on Inquiry of Enforced Disappearances; the knowledge that those who ordered and carried out the abductions continue to get away with their crimes; and the persistent threats, harassment, intimidation and attacks that they face for daring to demand truth and justice. 

For the last one decade, the Pakistan authorities have denied and promoted misinformation about the disappearances both at home and internationally. 

Domestically, the authorities have concocted different stories to disguise, distort and “justify” the disappearances in collaboration with national media. In particular, some have presented the enforced disappearances and executions as a just and lawful response to handful of separatists who had colluded with foreign powers to destabilise the country. 

disappearances and defame the victim families’ just demands. The media outlets without investigating into the cases, reported that the attackers’ names are on the missing persons list. This state narrative was promoted by top politicians and media persons. 

The Commission for Inquiry on Enforced Disappearance has deceptively claimed that the persons who have been claimed as enforced disappeared have left the country in search of a job and went to other countries. The commission has deliberately downplayed the scale of disappearances as low or insignificant. 

Given the gravity of the crimes committed, the security forces should not have been able to shield themselves from scrutiny by unconvincing blanket denials and mere intransigence. Sadly, that is what happening.  

This report focuses on the state violations of human rights in Balochistan; the enforced disappearance of thousands of people and the torturous pain and suffering of the families brought about by the enforced disappearance of their loved ones

This report is based on research undertaken by Baloch Human Rights Organization on the cases of victims of enforced disappearances whose families are on hunger strike in Quetta since November 1, 2018. However, the pains and suffering of families of victims of enforced disappearances are beyond the scope of this report.

Token Hunger Strike Camp

The hunger strike camp was set up in 2009 after the state adopted the notorious policy of “kill and dump”. The families of victims of enforced disappearances formed an organisation called Voice for Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP). On October 27, 2013, after four years of government’s oblivion to the plea of families, the VBMP decided to march to Islamabad against the disappearances. 

Mama Qadeer Baloch, Vice Chairman of the organisation led the march accompanied by women and children have covered more than 2000 km by foot from Quetta to Karachi and from Karachi to Islamabad for the safe recovery of their loved ones.

Mama Qadeer’s son Jalil Reki, a political activist, was abducted by security forces on February 13, 2009 from his home in Quetta. For more than two years, Mama was kept into dark and authorities didn’t provide any information on his son until November 23, 2011, when his son’s mutilated bullet-riddled body was recovered from a desolated area of Mand, near the Iranian border. 

His son’s execution didn’t stop him from raising his voice against enforced disappearances. Moreover, he has become an icon for the families of victims of enforced disappearances. The hunger strike camp has been there for over 3,418 days by now. 

On November 1, 2018, Seema Baloch, sister of student leader Shabir Ahmed, announced seven days of token hunger strike in front of the Quetta Press Club for the safe recovery of his brother. She along with her infant child and sister-in-law Zarina sat on the hunger strike camp for 6 days. On the 7th day of the hunger strike, she decided to march towards the Chief Minister’s house. 

The participants of the march were stopped by police and other law enforcement agencies and were restrained to proceed any further. The Deputy Commissioner of Quetta convinced them that he would arrange a meeting with the Chief Minister next day. 

Although the meeting never happened, the pictures of Seema and Zarina went viral on social media and encouraged other families to join them in the camp in search of their loved ones. Since then, more and more families have been joining the camp on a daily basis.

Victims of Enforced Disappearances

Shabir Ahmed is a student activist and former Information Secretary of Baloch Student Organization Azad. On October 4, 2016, he along with his wife Zarina were in Gwarkop, district Kech, when Frontier Corps sieged the village and carried out a search operation. 26 people were forcibly disappeared by the forces during the operation, including Shabir Ahmed.

“We were sitting in the house of his friend when we were informed about the siege. I panicked and knew that they had come for my husband. He pretended to be calm but I could feel his restlessness. He said: ‘tell my mother not to worry, I will be back soon.’ Two frontier corps personnel entered the house and asked him to step outside. After confirming his identity, he was blindfolded and taken away”, says Zarina.

The next day on October 5, 2016, security forces issued a statement published in several newspaper, including Jang, claiming to have arrested 26 people, including 7 members of a banned organization. 

In the course of months, the other abductees were released. However, Shabir’s whereabouts remain unknown since then.

Zarina went to file the First Information Report (FIR) to the concerned police station in Turbat city of district Kech. 

“The police officer bluntly denied to file a case,” she adds. Thereafter, she approached the Deputy Commissioner and on his direction the police officer agreed to file the case. 

On November 3, 2016, Zarina filed a petition in the High Court of Balochistan in Quetta more than 700 km away from Turbat. The case of Shabir Ahmed is still pending in the court and his whereabouts are still unknown.

Baloch Student Organization is a student political organization campaigning for the rights of the Baloch. It was banned by Pakistan authorities in 2013 along with several other organizations. Its activists and leaders had been targeted even long before the ban. Most of its top leadership were either executed by forces or are disappeared for years. 

Dost Muhammad was an army officer in Oman. He came to visit his family on his vacations and never returned. For almost seven years, his family is in search of his whereabouts but all in vain. 

In January 2012, Dost Muhammad came to Balochistan to visit his family in Jayen Paroom, district Panjgur. On February 12, 2012 he and his friend boarded a flight from Panjgur to Karachi. Both of them were stopped by plain-clothed intelligence officials and abducted both of them from the Jinnah International Airport Karachi. 

“We were worried for him. He didn’t contact any of us. Neither here nor in Oman. We started searching for him in Karachi’s hospital and later on in police stations. None of us have imagined of his forcible disappearance by intelligence agencies,” says Mahnaz.

Ten days later, his friend was released in a critical condition. He informed the family of Dost Mohammad, whose family filed a FIR in Karachi against his disappearance. Almost 7 years have passed, but no progress has been made into his case.

“After the disappearance of my father we are in constant pain. My grandmother is not supposed to be protesting on the roads but what else can she do? One can easily see the pain in her eyes but the government who is obliged to listen to us is silent. She is just demanding to know her son’s whereabouts and it is our constitutional right,” says Mahnaz. 

During his disappearance, three of his children got married. He has now two grandchildren. two years old granddaughter and two months old grandson. 

“Marriages are happy occasions all around the world but our family spent it crying and in pain. May no one go through the pain of disappearance of their loved ones,” Mahnaz says in a shivering voice.

In the early morning of August 7, 2012, Bibi Hoori’s house was raided by police and military forces on the Saryab Road Quetta. They whisked his son, Gul Muhammad Marri, away. 

Gul Muhammad Marri is a salesman of garments and the only bread-winner of his family. 

She approached almost all the politicians and ministers for her son’s release. Some got fed up of her visits and banned her from entering their offices. Others honestly told her that her son is in possession of intelligence agencies who were not answerable to anyone. “So, we cannot do anything for you,” they told her.

She went to politician Mohabbat Khan Marri’s home in Islamabad. She stayed there for a week and begged him for her son’s release. He also gave the same old excuse that it is a matter involving intelligence agencies and he couldn’t interfere in it.

Mohabbat Khan Marri served as Provincial Minister for Revenue, Excise and Minorities Affairs during 1999-2002. He served as a Senator during 2006-2012. He was removed from his post after his graduation degree was declared as bogus by the Higher Education Commission on March 8, 2013.

Bibi Hoori lost all her hopes and came back to Quetta. 

“My son’s in-laws want to take my daughter-in-law back. They said that it has been six years and your son hasn’t return. We don’t know if he is alive or will ever return. He has two daughters. How will I feed them?” says Bibi Hoori

Gul Mohammad Marri’s whereabouts are still unknown.

Saeed is a resident of Buleda, district Kech. In April 2017, he took his mother to Karachi for her treatment and never returned. 

Saeed had lived in London for four years before returning back to his homeland. “He always said that he cannot stay away anymore. He wanted to be among his people, in his homeland. So, he returned back. We were not happy for his decision considering the security conditions in Balochistan but he had made up his mind,” say Amina. 

On April 15, 2017, security forces raided Zarghoon Hotel Karachi where he and his mother were staying and took him away in front of his mother. 

“A day before his enforced disappearance, he called one of his friends and said that he was being followed. I don’t understand why he was abducted. Neither he was a political activist nor does he have money to pay for ransom,” says Amina. 

“All we need is his safe release and if he has committed any crime he should be trialed as per Pakistan’s constitution,” she adds.

Maazullah is a resident of Ghareeabad Noshki and a student of Degree College Noshki. He was happily married and they were expecting their child in two months. On December 14, 2013, he received a phone call and left home. An hour later he called his mother and said that he is going to Quetta.

“My mother was very angry on him that he is leaving his wife in this condition and going to Quetta suddenly and without any reason. She said that how could you leave your wife when she needed you the most. He replied that he will return back the next day,” says Aasiya.

Maazullah didn’t return the next day. However, Frontier Corps raided their house and searched every corner but didn’t find anything.

“Forty days after Maazullah’s disappearance, my mother died of heart attack. Two month later his wife gave birth to a beautiful princess. We. named her after my mother Haleema. I wish he could see his daughter for once,” says Aasiya.

Haleema has turned five and waiting for the return of her father.

Bibi Shari is sitting in the hunger strike camp for a couple of weeks. She has travelled all the way from Dalbandin in the hope of her son’s recovery. She tells her heart-melting story to every passerby who stops by to show sympathy with the families in the hunger strike camp. She appeals to every visitor, never bothering to know if the visitor is a politician or a rickshaw driver. 

On August 30, 2016, after a long and exhausting day of working in the fields, Bibi Shari’s son Hafeezullah went to visit his cousin Haji Wali’s home. A Frontier Corps Major Naveed along with 2 other personnel approached them and asked Hafeezullah to accompany them for an interrogation. 

“We called on the number Major Naveed had given to Haji Wali. He said to come to Quetta if we wanted our son back,” says Bibi Shari. 

Bibi Shari along with her other son went to Quetta the next day to meet Major Naveed.

“He demanded 12 million rupees in return of my son and clearly instructed us not to mention my son’s abduction. He gave us a wireless loop through which we were instructed to contact him,” she adds. 

She sold her jewelry and borrowed some money from her relatives to sum up the demanded amount. “The demanded amount was huge and being farmers, it was impossible for us to arrange that much amount. So, we gathered 1 million and decided to hand him this amount and beg for my son’s release,” says Bibi Shari. 

The next day they met Major Naveed at the Askari Petrol Pump and gave him 1 million. Major Naveed insisted that they paid the rest of the amount in exchange of his son’s release. 

“We had a piece of land which we sold. A month later, we went back to Quetta. He asked to meet him at the Airport Road Quetta and we gave him 2.8 million. He took the money and went back. Later, he called and said to pay all the amount if we wanted to see our son again. We kept selling our properties and borrowing money to gather the demanded amount. We paid him 6.8 million in installments and then we were left with nothing to sell and no one to borrow from. The last installment was 1 million which we gave him at the FC Scout Baleli Road, Quetta where he was living at the time,” says Bibi Shari.

Major Naveed insisted that they paid him 12 million rupees which the family couldn’t arrange. So, Major Naveed didn’t release her son. 

“I begged him to release my son in our last meeting. I told him that I couldn’t arrange more amount and I did what I could. Please release my son. He is just a farmer and have 3 children who are waiting for their him,” she adds.

Hafeezullah never returned, his whereabouts are still unknown and Major Naveed is enjoying military protocol somewhere in Pakistan.

Ganj Khatoon and Mohammad Azam have lost faith on the legal remedies of this country. They believe that all these remedies are for a particular class and for rest, they are just beautiful words. 

On December 13, 2013, Frontier Corps raided the house of Ganj Khatoon in Kili Geo, Quetta and forcibly disappeared her son Zafarullah, who is a student of matriculation and was about to appear in exams in a month when the forces whisked him away. 

“There were Frontier Corps personnel everywhere in our house. They searched all our house and didn’t find anything. They were about to leave when one of them pointed towards our guest house where my son was sleeping. They searched our guest house and blind folded my son in front of me and took him away,” says Ganj Khatoon. 

The next day, she along with her husband approached the police to file a First Information Report against their son’s involuntary disappearance.

“My husband and I went to the concerned police station the next day after my son’s abduction. At first, they denied to file a case and when we stayed for hours and insisted to file the FIR, they beat my husband. So, we left,” says Ganj Khatoon

Ganj Khatoon still comes to the hunger strike camp with the hope that her son will be released. 

On August 16, 2014, around 25 vehicles of Frontier Corps sieged Diz Parom in district Panjgur and carried out a search operation. Khair Bakhsh, his nephew Salal, cousins Salim and Ghulam Yasin were taken away by forces

“It was about 9 in the morning when security forces entered our house and started beating us. They dragged Khair Bakhsh from his room and took all of them away,” explains Unaiza about the incident.

Ghulam Yasin was released a month later. Salim and Salal were released after two and a half years of illegal detention. Unaiza and her family kept receiving messages from Khair Bakhsh through other people who had been kept in the same military camp, but released later. 

“He was kept in the Panjgur military camp. He sent us his prayer beads to reassure us of his safety but we haven’t heard of him for the last several months,” says Unaiza.

Then on July 17, 2018, a mass grave was discovered, containing four decomposed bodies which were beyond recognition, at a location 50 km from Parom. Khair Bakhsh’s family, along with families of other disappeared persons, rushed to the site but the bodies were decomposed beyond recognition. 

On August 9, 2018, Khair Bakhsh’s family sat in front of Deputy Commissioner’s house for three days in Panjgur demanding the DNA test of the bodies. For the next two days, they protested in front of Frontier Corps camp. 

On August 14, on the Independence Day of Pakistan, the family held a protest demonstration in front of the FC camp where FC officials snatched all their documents and escorted them to the camp and informed them that one of the bodies was that of his son.

“We were informed that we have killed him and buried him in the same mass grave which was discovered last month. We mourned, relatives visited us. Then we were informed that they had mistakenly misinformed us. How easy is it for them to send a message that we are sorry we misinformed you and we haven’t killed him yet,” asks Unaiza in a shivering voice.

Saddam is Sohail’s elder brother who works abroad to look after his family. Naseema also wanted Sohail to join his brother abroad to improve the financial condition of the family. He went to Karachi to make his passport in May 2016. 

One evening, while sitting at a tea stall in Lee Market Karachi, Sohail was forcibly disappeared by Rangers and intelligence officials. Since then his whereabouts are unknown.

“What has he done? If he has committed any crime, produce him in the court. Which law allows the forces to disappear someone for years without disclosing his whereabouts,” says Nasima.

September 2013 changed lives of thousands of people in district Awaran, Balochistan when a 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit the district. The earthquake claimed lives of 847 people and left many more injured. Moreover, it left thousands of people homeless. 

The Pakistan Army deployed hundreds of soldiers for rehabilitation program considering the law and order situation. Deployment of army resulted into intensification of military operations in the district and subsequently in the enforced disappearance and extra judicial execution of hundreds of civilians. Thousands of people left their settlements and migrated to different areas of Balochistan to avoid harassment.

Like others, Safar’s family also migrated to Hub Chowki. On October 23, 2013, security forces raided his home in Hub Chowki and dragged Safar and his younger brother Balach away. Ganjal, wife of Safar, tried to stop them but she was beaten. 

“Ganjal was most sensitive among us. Her life revolved around Safar. They had been married only for six months. He is not even a political activist. He worked as a driver in Dubai to feed his family. He was on his vacation. His disappearance shattered us all and especially his wife, Ganjal,” says Seema Baluch while sitting in the hunger strike camp for the safe release of her brother Shabir Baloch.

Balach was released a week after his abduction but the whereabouts of Safar remain unknown to date.

Gradually, Ganjal plunged into depression. She had panic attacks with her arms and legs becoming as stiff as wood, and she ceased breathing. “She was suffering from an illness almost all the families of victims of enforced disappearance suffer,” says Seema.

Ganjal had her last anxiety attack on June 2, 2018 which claimed her life.

On April 6, 2014, Sanaullah Noor, as usual, went to his shop in front of his home in Gichk after having breakfast. 

After two hours, three gunmen on a white Toyota Corolla car came and blindfolded Sanaullah and whisked him away. His friend Noroz (anonymous) was threatened that if he resisted he will be killed. 

As soon as they left, Noroz informed the family about the abduction of Sanaullah. The family followed the car till the car entered the Frontier Corps military camp. The next day Sanaullah’s family members approached FC officials but they denied that they had Sanaullah. 

“Twenty days later we received a phone call. He introduced himself as an Inter-Service Intelligence official and demanded 1.2 million rupees in exchange of Sanaullah. We anyhow managed the amount in a month. We were instructed to bring the amount in Panjgur and drop the bag in a mosque in Chitkan and leave. We did the same.” Says Noorjan.

Their mobile number is switched off since then.

Three months later, a mutilated body was recovered in Rakhshan river of district Panjgur. The family was informed that it was Sanaullah’s body. On reaching Panjgur District Hospital, they were taken to a room where a body of a person as young as Sanaullah was lying cold on a bed. 

“It was not my son’s body. The unfortunate one was like my son but he was not my son.” says Haseena, mother of Sanaullah. 

Gichk is a small town of district Panjgur and has witnessed many military operations like other parts of Balochistan. The enforced disappearance of Sanaullah is not the only pain his family is going through. 

In April 2015, security forces raided a marriage ceremony in Gwarjak, Mahkai and forcibly disappeared six people including four grooms. The next day two of them were released while the the bullet-riddled bodies of two others were handed over to Levies force claiming that they had been killed in an encounter with security forces. Shah Nawaz, one of the grooms, was a cousin of Sanaullah. 

“One security institution (intelligence agencies) abducts our children. The other (Frontier Corps) guards and shelter them. Another force (police) deny filing cases and then their bullet-riddled bodies return. That is what happened to us.” Says Noor Jan.

Abdul Karim’s father once had a shop in their home town in Kharan and the only source to feed his children. As he gets older and couldn’t continue to feed his children, Abdul Karim decides to go to United Arab Emirates. He soon finds a driver job. Being a driver is considerably a better job than labor. 

“He returns after 3 years. We wanted him to get marry. Our family was very happy. We are planning to marry Abdul Karim. Everything was going very well and then he was forcefully disappeared. In a moment our whole world shattered and since then our lives didn’t return to normal” says Hairnissa.

On June 8, 2013, his mother asked Abdul Karim to walk with her to one of the relative homes. After walking few hundred meters, they were stopped by Frontier Corps. An official asked him his name and on identifying himself, the personnel grabbed him and took him with him.

“He was very close to my mother. When they were dragging him, my mother walked with him while holding his hand and begging to the personnel but they were much powerful than my mother” says Hairnissa.

The family of Abdul Karim approached police station to lodge a First Information Report but the police denied to file case. The family then approached local tribal head who gave them hope that he will return soon. After passing few months, his father went Quetta and urged to government representative who gave excuses that it is a matter of security forces and they cannot do anything.

“Last year, Abdul Karim was sighted in Nushki military camp. So, my father and brother went to Nushki where they approached the tribal leaders. My father clearly said them that if he has committed any crime, produce him in a court and if he is no more hand us his body” says Hairnissa in tears.

“All these years, my mother blamed herself for his abduction. She was once very happy women. She overcome courageously all those years of poverty and hardship but enforced disappearance of Abdul Karim broke her. She is now blind. She also has heart problem and sugar. No one can understand this pain. Words can’t describe it. I am trying to describe its one dimension” says Hairnissa.

Nine students, including Information Secretary of Baloch Human Rights Organization, Nawaz Atta, were abducted from Karachi in multiple raids of Sindh Rangers and Intelligence officials on October 28, 2017. 

Most of the abductees were students and relatives of political activists of Balochistan. It was an act of collective punishment and Ilyas was one of the victims. Six of the abductees were released a few months later but Ilyas’s whereabouts still remain unknown.

Haleema, wife of Ilyas, waited a year for Ilyas’s safe release but he didn’t return back. So, she took her children and joined the hunger strike camp in November 2018. 

Ilyas and Haleema got married around two years ago in Gichk, one of the poorest and war-affected regions of Balochistan. 

“We have seen a lot in Balochistan. Military operations, enforced disappearances and extra-judicial killings are the order of the day. Ilyas Faiz went to Karachi for studies and particularly to escape daily military operations. We didn’t know that being Baloch is a crime in any part of Pakistan.” Says Haleema.

“Enforced Disappearances, in Balochistan, have become very common but the people outside Balochistan hardly notice it. The suffering and pain which family members of the victims go through in undefinable. It affects the whole society. I didn’t understand what purpose it serves the government by depriving anyone with their basic right to live in peace and freedom,” says Haleema while trying to hide her tears from her two young children.

In 2013, just before the general elections in the country, IG Frontier Corps announced to conduct targeted military operations in Balochistan. It was only named targeted but in fact military operations were carried out in most of the areas of Balochistan.

On early morning of April 29, 2013, 2 weeks before the general election, forces carried out a massive military operation in Teertej Awaran. Security forces forcefully disappeared 18 people from Teertej including Jameel Rahmat. 17 people were later released but whereabouts of Jameel Rahmat is still unknown.

Jameel Rahmat was once a labor in Pasni. He then returned to his village and worked in his ancestor’s land. After his disappearance and several raids on his home, his family was compelled to migrate. One of thousands families internally displaced due to military operations. 

“When Pakistan People Party came in power, President Zardari apologized from the people of Balochistan for the bad conduct and human rights violations and then continue to violate human rights. In 2013, Muslim League came to power and did the same. They were not apologized for the past but for the actions they are going to do in future,” says Asma.

Jameel Rahmat was not the only family member who was forcefully disappeared. Master Khuda Bakhsh, Jameel’s cousin, a teacher by profession in Government Middle School Razai Bazar Gishkor and President of Teacher Association of district Awaran was invited in Gishkor Military Camp for an event by Pakistan Army Colonel, Kashif on February 14, 2015.

He attended the event and never returned back. On March 3, 2015, after 17 days of disappearance, his mutilated body was handed over to a hospital in Khuzdar. His body bears several signs of torture.

Sabzal Qoumi, another cousin of Jameel, shares the same fate. Sabzal’s home in Labach Awaran was burned down by forces in a military operation. He along with his family migrated to Sehr Kolwa in Gishkor. On September 15, 2017, forces carried out land and aerial operation in which Sabzal was taken away from Madag e Kalat Dandar. A week later he was killed in custody and his body was hanged with a tree.

“Nako (Uncle) Sabzal was just a labor. You will not find a single human being who is ever hurt by Nako. What do they wanted to prove by hanging his dead body to a tree? If they wanted us to be scared than we are not. It is not only humiliation of our dead but it is humiliation of basic human norms which distinguished us from other species in the planet,” says Asma.

“Balochistan is a free land in a sense free from all national and international law. The life expectancy rate here is very low not because of lack of medical facilities but due to brutal policies of state. They can abduct and kill any one. My father’s only guilt is that he belongs to a family whose youth demands their rights. The right to live,” she adds.

Sanaulllah, Hassam and Naseer were students and central leaders of Baloch Student Organization Azad, a student organization striving to raise awareness about Baloch rights. 

BSO Azad has lost a number of its senior leaders, but still persists with its struggle for the rights of the Baloch people. 

Rafiq is a political activist and member of the Baloch National Movement. 

On November 15, 2017, Sindh Rangers and secret intelligence agents raided their apartment in Karachi and forcibly disappeared all four of them. On December 15, 2018, Hassam returned home while other three are still missing. 

Naseer Ahmed was very ambitious and wanted her daughter, Mahrang to study. He moved her wife Zubaida and his two children, Mahrung and Sanjar, to Karachi where he himself was a student. 

“He was very close to Mahrang. He always said that every man becomes a real father the day a daughter is born. Actually, I and Sanjar, we both know he loves her more than us.” says Zubaida.

On November 15, 2017, at 9:00 pm, Zubaida made breads for all and went to her room while Sanaullah was about to make supper when forces broke in and lined up all in a row, hand-cuffed and blindfolded them and took them away. 

“Naseer was helping Mahrang with her homework. I was in my room with Sanjar and all of sudden, I heard a loud noise. Sanjar got scared. I rushed towards the door and two Rangers personnel entered and ordered me to step outside. I took Sanjar and entered the hall and found that Sanaullah, Naseer, Rafiq and Hassam were blindfolded and hand-cuffed,” says Zubaida. 

All the valuables, including Zubaida and Mahrang’s clothes, were looted by the forces. 

“One of the officers approached me and asked me for my mobile phone which I handed over to him. I didn’t know what to do so I hugged Mahrang and Sanjar and sat down. Few hours later, a friend of Naseer came and took us to his home,” she added.

Mahrang left her studies after her father’s abduction and now actively publishes videos on social media telling people about the pain her mother and her brother are going through. She hopes that her videos may awaken the conscience of the authorities and they will release the enforced disappeared persons.

Nawaz Atta, a resident of Gichk Panjgur moved to Karachi after few years of his father’s death in 2010. His mother, Zarbibi raised Nawaz and his other brothers in very hard circumstances. Nawaz got admission in International Relations in Karachi University, a dream come true. 

He worked at a hospital part time to bear his expenses rather than ask his mother for money. 

“After Nawaz’s father death in 2010, I did embroidery work to raise my children. Nawaz was never demanding. Apart from his studies, he worked at a hospital to bear the expenses of his studies. We are poor and helpless people. The only thing which I can do and have been doing is to pray for his safe release,” says Zar Bibi.

In April 2015, Nawaz had gone to Mashkai to attend his cousin’s wedding. In early morning on April 21, 2015, forces raided Gwarjak Mashkai and forcibly disappeared seven people, including three newly-wed grooms. 

In the afternoon, the Levies Tehsildar received a call from one of the officials of army that they had killed four rebels in an encounter whose bodies needed to be collected. All three grooms had been severely tortured and then killed in the military camp. Nawaz’s cousin, Shah Nawaz, was one of them.

Nawaz Atta joined Baloch Human Rights Organization to campaign for the basic human rights of Baloch people. Due to his commitment and dedication, he was elected Information Secretary of the Organization in 2016. 

A year later on October 28, 2017, forces raided his apartment in Karachi and took him away. His whereabouts are still unknown.

For PDF click here